Thursday, December 11, 2008

Iron Girl's!

I like to run.  I've taken to it again in the last couple of years after a 25 year absence. Actually, I have a love/hate relationship with running.  I'm probably not the only one that does.  It has so many benefits, with a few let's say - inconveniences. It is challenging, helps my arthritis, keeps me feeling younger (a challenge in itself at my age) and helps me clear my head and think in solitude for longer than 2 minutes. Then there is the practical advantage -burning calories - love that.  I even have this really cool toy (GPS watch) I run with that tracks my pace, distance, time, calories, workout history etc.  It's awesome!  But, on the downside, running can be a bit painful at times.  

Usually I run alone, so sometimes it can get a little monotonous.  I've never gotten into the music thing so much, so my ipod, if I bring it, usually consists of talks or books on tape. Fridays are an exception though.  I love Fridays!  I get to run with a good friend, and I look forward to it each week.  I get to talk to her for a whole hour while we run the streets.  I love our conversations.  They are helpful and uplifting.  Every conversation with her is.  She is the kind of person that makes you feel you are a hundred times better than you really are, so you find yourself trying really hard to be that person. Hopefully you know the kind; they are priceless.  

Last Saturday, this friend and I took our daughters, and ran the Iron Girl 5K race at Tempe Town Lake together.  You could run individually or as a mother/daughter team. We opted for the 5K rather than 10 mile, but I told Allie that maybe we could shoot for the longer one next year - she wasn't so sure.  It was a blast.  I love sharing that experience with Allie.  She is so athletic and always ready for an adventure.  She was a great sport too since she hadn't even trained for it.  I wanted her to feel what it's like at these big race events.  It is such an exciting atmosphere.  There was even breakfast after the race for all the participants and lots of free stuff at the booths. She loved it. Maybe it will spark something in her and eventually, I'll get a full-time running
partner.  If that were the case, I might be hard pressed finding much of a downside to this running gig.  

9 comments:

Heatherly said...

Allie is awesome, there is so much of you in her its not funny! What a great way to bond together! Love ya both!

Shawni said...

How weird that I happened to see your blog link and clicked on it today, one of the few times you've ever blogged. Good for you guys for doing that! Next year I want to join you with Elle (well, not really join you, because we won't be able to run as fast, but at least be in the same race). I'll try to call you tomorrow to figure out gingerbread houses.

Kathy P said...

Way to go... I admire people that like to run -- from the comfort of my couch, I admire them!!

Good job!

Holly Janeen said...

NO WAY... no way... is that TERESA WILLIAMS??? oh i miss her!!!!! i am so glad you are still friends... tell her hello for me :)

and um, way to go IRON WOMAN!!

Chris and Andrea said...

I think it is great that you are posting Ü. Tell Sister Williams hello from me. We should hang out one of these days.

Tami said...

You guys are awesome--I love that you get your whole family involved. It beats these kids sitting and playing video games or watching TV all the time! I find I have to be creative to get them up off the couch and MOVING! (Except for Josh--when is he NOT moving???).

kara jayne said...

I haven't checked in for a while and I was so happy to see a post!! I'm so glad you and Allie got to do this event!! I may have to see if Ella will do it with me next year.

I sure wish we lived closer so we could be running partners. In the next couple of years...right?

Todd and Jacy Skouson said...

Christy you are so awesome! I just love you! Todd and I are training for the Seattle half marathon in June. We are making it a family affair. Every night we put Jack in the jogging stroller and hit the streets. I'm with you about running being a hate/ love relationship. Todd ran cross-country in H.S. This well be my biggest run ever. Well great job on your 5k! GO Alie and Christy! I love and miss you guys. :)

Karen said...

email me so I have your email address :) Thanks: karenmatsen@yahoo.com

Go Iron Girls!